A surprise “Moana” sequel announced, Disney to invest 70 percent of $60 billion in expanding the theme parks — all this and more in today’s daily recap for Wednesday, February 7, 2024.
Walt Disney World
- A month after scaffolding first went up in the United Kingdom pavilion at EPCOT, some of the temporary structures are starting to come down as facade refurbishment continues.
Walt Disney World Resort Hotels
- Scaffolding has gone up along one side of the new Disney Vacation Club tower at Disney’s Polynesian Village Resort.
- Disney Wishables plush are back with a brand-new collection celebrating Guardians of the Galaxy: Cosmic Rewind.
- Two new Starbucks Discovery Series pins for Disneyland Park and Disney California Adventure are now available at Disneyland Resort.
Entertainment and Media
- Before today’s Q1 2024 earnings call for The Walt Disney Company, CEO Bob Iger revealed that a sequel to “Moana” would be released in theaters later this year.
- Disney CEO Bob Iger announced the full slate of upcoming Disney theatrical releases during today’s earnings call.
- The Los Angeles Philharmonic will perform music from Marvel Studios’ Infinity Saga in a special concert experience coming to the Hollywood Bowl this August.
- Prior to today’s earnings call, Disney CEO Bob Iger announced a new partnership with Epic Games, developers of “Fortnite.”
- Disney+ lost 1.3 million subscribers in Q1 2024, following their milestone of reaching 150 million total in the previous quarter.
- Disney+ will begin cracking down on password sharing this summer, but the impact likely won’t be felt until 2025.
- Starting next month, Disney+ will become the exclusive streaming home of “Taylor Swift: The Eras Tour (Taylor’s Version).”
- “Percy Jackson and the Olympians” has officially been greenlit for a second season.
- New images from the set of “Daredevil: Born Again” reveal that Charlie Cox has been joined on set by Deborah Ann Woll and Elden Henson from the original Netflix series.
The Walt Disney Company
- Disney CEO Bob Iger has confirmed that 70 percent of the company’s $60 billion investment in Disney Experiences over the next 10 years will go to increasing capacity at the parks.
- During the Q&A section of today’s earnings call, Bob Iger shared his response to Elon Musk funding Gina Carano’s lawsuit against the company.
- Per today’s earnings call, The Walt Disney Company shared that their overall revenue for Q1 2024 was $23.55 billion.
- Also during today’s call, Disney shared that their theme parks division made $6.3 billion in domestic revenue during the quarter.
- During today’s earnings call, Disney CEO Bob Iger stated that for Q1 2024, all of the Disney Parks were profitable, and teased the “untapped stories just waiting to be brought to life.”
- Elon Musk has shared another series of posts on X complaining about The Walt Disney Company, this time calling Disney’s entertainment inclusion standards “mandatory, institutionalized racism and sexism.”
WDW News Today
That’s it for today; we hope you enjoyed this Daily Recap. Thanks for stopping by, and we’ll see you tomorrow!
The post Surprise ‘Moana 2’ Movie Announced & More: Daily Recap (2/7/24) appeared first on WDW News Today.