Deep within the heart of EPCOT’s Germany Pavillion is the Sommerfest quick-service dining location serving everything from jumbo pretzels to beer. One of the incredible treats on the menu of this dining experience is none other than Pretzel Bread Pudding, the perfect mix of sweet and savory to make your tastebuds scream, yeah, ya do! Today, Disney is helping us recreate this delicious snack at home! Are you ready to give it a try?
Below is Disney’s official recipe.
PRETZEL BREAD PUDDING
Sommerfest – EPCOT
- 1 egg
- 1/4 cup sugar
- 3/4 cup heavy cream
- 1 cup milk, divided
- 2 1/2 teaspoons cornstarch
- 3/4 teaspoon vanilla extract
PRETZEL BREAD PUDDING
- 1 pound pretzel bread
- 1 cup milk
- 1 2/3 cup heavy cream
- 1 1/3 cups sugar
- 4 eggs
- 1 3/4 teaspoon vanilla paste
- 1/2 teaspoon baking powder
- 1/8 teaspoon cinnamon
FOR VANILLA SAUCE:
- Beat egg and sugar in a small bowl. Set aside.
- Bring cream and 3/4 cup of milk to a simmer in a small saucepan over medium heat. Slowly add 1/3 of the simmering cream mixture to the eggs, constantly whisking to temper eggs. Carefully pour it back into the saucepan.
- Whisk cornstarch and the remaining 1/4 cup of milk together in a small bowl. Add to saucepan. Cook over medium heat, constantly stirring until the sauce thickens. Remove from heat and add vanilla extract.
- Place a mesh strainer over a bowl. Pour sauce through the strainer and cool to room temperature.
- Cover and refrigerate for up to 7 days.
FOR PRETZEL BREAD PUDDING:
- Tear or chop pretzel bread into large pieces. Place in a food processor and pulse until coarse crumbs form.
- Whisk milk, heavy cream, sugar, eggs, vanilla paste, baking powder, and cinnamon in a large bowl. Add pretzel bread pieces. Cover and refrigerate for 4-12 hours.
- Preheat oven to 375°F. Spray 15 1/2 cup ramekins or muffin tins with non-stick cooking spray. Add 1/3 cup pretzel bread pudding mixture into each ramekin or muffin tin. Bake for 25-30 minutes, until centers of pretzel bread puddings are firm.
- Cool for 5 minutes before removing from molds.
Remove vanilla sauce from the refrigerator. Heat in a small saucepan over medium-low heat until warm. Place warm pretzel bread puddings on small plates. Top each with 2-3 tablespoons vanilla sauce. Drizzle caramel on top.
Note: Always use caution when handling sharp objects and hot contents. Please supervise children who are helping or nearby. This recipe has been converted from a larger quantity in the restaurant kitchens. The flavor profile may vary from the restaurant’s version.