Caught up on all of your favorite Disney+ shows? Good! There’s MORE coming soon!
The Obi-Wan Kenobi Star Wars series and Ms. Marvel are currently streaming new episodes on Disney+, plus there are tons of documentaries, movies, and more to watch already. And we’ve already heard about some upcoming shows and movies, like Ahsoka. But recently Disney made some exciting announcements for Disney+ and more, especially for fans of animated series!
According to Variety, during the recent Annecy Intl. Animation Film Festival, Disney made some updates about some of its animated series for Disney+ and beyond.
First up, the Disney+ series Monsters at Work has officially been green-lit for a second season!
— Disney+ (@disneyplus) June 15, 2022
Seasons 3 have been confirmed for 2 other Disney animated series: Marvel’s Spidey and his Amazing Friends and Mickey Mouse Funhouse.
Disney is also set to announce that additional episodes have been ordered for a few upcoming series from Disney Television Animation, including Hamster & Gretel, Kiff, Hailey’s On It, and Primos.
Here’s a brief description of these upcoming series in case you aren’t familiar with them:
- Hamster & Gretel: The series “introduces Kevin and younger sister Gretel, who are about to be bestowed superpowers by space aliens. But something goes awry, and it’s Gretel and her pet hamster (named Hamster) who suddenly have new abilities. Now, protective older brother Kevin must figure out how to work with both Gretel and her pet Hamster to protect their city from mysterious dangers.”
- Kiff: “From South African creators Lucy Heavens and Nic Smal, ‘Kiff’ is set in the bustling mountains where animals and magical creatures live happily together. At the center of it all is Kiff, an optimistic squirrel whose best intentions often lead to complete chaos, and her best friend, Barry, a sweet and mellow bunny. The duo takes their town by storm with their endless adventures and zest for life.”
- Hailey’s On It: “Starring Auli’i Cravalho (Walt Disney Animation Studios’ ‘Moana’) as the voice of title character Hailey and Manny Jacinto (Hulu’s ‘Nine Perfect Strangers,’ ‘The Good Place’) as her best friend, Scott, ‘Hailey’s On It’ follows risk-averse but resourceful teenager Hailey Banks on a mission to complete every item on her long list of challenging (and sometimes impractical) tasks in order to save the world. Pushed outside her comfort zone, Hailey discovers the greatness within as she systematically conquers her fears.”
- Primos: “Inspired by creator/executive producer Natasha Kline’s childhood experiences with her multicultural Mexican American family, the series introduces Tater, an eccentric 10-year-old girl with big dreams and a certain “it factor” that makes her exceptional. When her 12 cousins (“primos” in Spanish) move in for the summer, they help her discover just what it is.”
What other announcements has Disney made so far? Quite a few actually! here’s a full rundown.
An animated series inspired by the Disney movie franchise Zombies is in the works. “‘Zombies: The Re-Animated Series’ invites us into the daily lives of Seabrook High, where every day is a surprise, whether you’re a cheerleader, a zombie, a werewolf or even a vampire!”
A new project called Dragon Striker has been revealed. It is set to be an epic, action-packed adventure series. The series marks the first time that Disney has really done a “heavily serialized anime style show in Europe.” According to Variety/Disney, “In this action-packed adventure full of comedy and high-stakes sports drama, elite players have a magical signature move they can use on the pitch. Twelve-year-old Key can only dream of entering the famous school where the greatest players train before joining the big leagues – until he discovers he has his own ultra-powerful spell.”
Another new project called The Doomies has also been revealed — it is set to be a “spooky comedy.” According to Variety/Disney, “When best friends Bobby and Romy mistakenly open up a gateway to another world, they turn their sleepy coastal town into a hotspot for terrifying creatures of doom. Roped into an epic supernatural mystery, they will do battle with both literal and inner monsters in this spooky comedy that combines thrills, chills and surprises with character-driven comedy.”
Both Dragon Striker and The Doomies will be half-hour series of 22 episodes, and they are slated to premiere in 2024.
According to Orion Ross, the VP of animation for the EMEA region (Europe, the Middle East, and Africa), “there is an ecosystem for co-production and tax credits and other broadcasters we are compatible with, but it’s a bigger part of our strategy now to add Originals onto the slate…We know that long-term we need Originals to make Disney+ exclusive.”
Other announcements were also made recently including:
- A new season has been revealed for PJ Masks: Power Heroes
- New artwork and casting has been revealed for Kizazi Moto: Generation Fire, which will be coming to Disney+. The cast will include: “Florence Kasumba (‘Black Panther: Wakanda Forever’), Nigerian star Kehinde Bankole (‘Blood Sisters’) and South African rapper Nasty C (‘Blood & Water’).”
- A sneak peek will be shown to guests for a new preschool series called Kiya and the Kimoja Heroes. That series is “about community heroes inspired by the traditions and cultures of southern Africa.”
- Guests at the event will also get a sneak peek at Star Wars: Young Jedi Adventures (a series for preschoolers that will show on Disney Junior and Disney+ in spring 2023), Marvel’s Moon Girl and Devil Dinosaur, and a Disney Original Documentary coming soon called Mickey: The Story of a Mouse.
WHEW! That’s quite a lot of announcements! If you’re wondering what else is coming to Disney+ in the future, click here to see when new Star Wars shorts will debut on Disney+. Click here to see the BIG reason why ads are coming to Disney+, and click here for details on what ads Disney+ will run.
Stay tuned for more Disney+ and general Disney news!
Join the DFB Newsletter to get all the breaking news right in your inbox! Click here to Subscribe!
The post Did Your Favorite Disney+ Series Just Get a Season 2? Find Out Here! first appeared on the disney food blog.